Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Tete-a-Toddler: Conversations with a Budding Linguist

Time: Weekday evening

Place: Kitchen

Maddie: Dadeeee, whew ah ooo?

Jon (who is standing right next to Maddie): Maddie, where do you think Daddy is? Where is Daddy?

Maddie (grinning): Daddy ah wuk! (giggles)


Time: Weekday evening

Place: Kitchen

Setting: I'm cooking, and Maddie is watching me and "helping." I've given her a set of measuring spoons and an empty measuring cup.

Me: Maddie, are you cooking with Mommy? Are you cooking?

Maddie (fiercely stirring an invisible substance of some sort): Yeah!

Me: What are you cooking?

Maddie: Salt.


Time: Weekday morning

Place: Maddie's bedroom

Me: Maddie, let's get you dressed so you can go to daycare. Do you want to go see Miss Laura?

Maddie: Yeah!

Me: Who else will you see at daycare?

Maddie: a Miss Wawa, a Yandon, a Spehcer, a Caityen

Me: Yep, you'll see all your friends at daycare.

Maddie: a Pa?

Me: No, Pa won't be at daycare.

Maddie: a Nana??

Me: No, Nana won't be at daycare either.

Maddie: a Unca Chiss???

Me: What? No. Maddie, none of those people have ever been to your daycare!


Time: Sunday morning

Place: Church

Setting: At the end of our church service, the congregation stands around the outer edges of the sanctuary, holds hands, and sings a closing song. Last Sunday, my parent were visiting, so they attended the service with us. I was holding Maddie, and my dad was standing next to us. My dad tried to hold Maddie's hand.

Maddie: Nooo! (Wrinkles up her forehead, nose, and mouth, and pulls her hand away.)

Grandpa: All right. I won't touch you (puts his hand on my shoulder).

Maddie (pushing his hand away somewhat violently): Noooo! No a toucha Mommy!


Time: Weekday evening

Place: Neighborhood playground

Jon: All right, Maddie, one more time down the slide, and then we need to finish our walk and go home.

(Maddie goes down the slide.)

Me: Okay, time to go. Let's go get in your stroller.

Maddie: Nooo. A mo' sa-yide. A mo' sa-yide!

Me: No, it's time to go.

Jon: Say bye-bye, slide. Say bye-bye.

Maddie: Bye-bye, sa-yide. See ta-ma-oh.

*My apologies for the length between this post and the last. I'll be posting again in the next couple of days with some lame excuses for the delay, pictures, and general updates. I appreciate your patience!

No comments: