Sunday, July 25, 2010

NYCD2

Good morning! We've now completed day two here in NYC, and while we're tired and still sore, we're looking forward to getting back out there and enjoying our last day here.

Yesterday, we got started a little later then we'd planned, so we hit up a little bakery near our hotel for coffee and mini tarts/cupcakes. (Maddie, I just want you to know that while your Daddy may think cupcakes are acceptable for breakfast, they are not. You, my love, may not eat cupcakes for breakfast until at least college.) Following this, we walked 30 blocks or so to Katz's deli for lunch: pastrami on rye, potato salad, and a huge heaping plate of pickles. Soooo good...mmmmmm.

After lunch, we took the subway to the Met, where we managed to fit in the Greek and Roman, Roof Garden, Picasso, European Paintings, and Egyptian exhibits. I'm not even really sure what to say about the Met. We spent three hours there, and we still barely touched the place. I would love to go back and spend more time there--preferably when my legs and feet don't hurt quite so badly. We did pony up the extra cash for the audio tour, and I would highly recommend that. Yes, it's $14 we don't have now, but while I know I like art, I don't know what makes art "art", so it's nice to have someone tell me what I'm supposed to be looking at and why this particular painting of 17th century peasants is different than those other three paintings of 17th century peasants.

Met time over, we schlepped back to our hotel, where we quickly showered and changed for the wedding. Then, we hopped in a cab for what has got to be the most pointless cab ride ever. See, Bryant Park Grill, where the ceremony and reception were held, is only five blocks from our hotel, and the only reason we were taking a cab was because while my 4" inch heels were (and are) totally hot, they were not (and aren't) practical when it comes to such pedestrian matters as walking. (Do you like how I managed to use pedestrian there? I know. Sometimes, I even impress myself.) We got in the cab, went 2.5 blocks, wasted seven minutes, and because a street was closed, still had to walk 2.5 blocks to the wedding, where we squeezed past the already assembled wedding party to get to our seats just before they started seating the parents. Yeah...

My snark about lame cabbies over, the wedding. Oh, the wedding. I don't even know that I can describe the loveliness that was this wedding. The ceremony and cocktail hour that followed were on the roof of the grill, and the meal and dance were in the main area. Aside from the 97 degree heat (ugh, and again, ugh), it was gorgeous. The bride, groom, and bridal party were stunning, the food was excellent, and music was awesome (Seriously, Sam Cook's "You Send Me" for the first dance. Very retro-hip.), and to top it all off, the groom rocked the mic for a bit with "Disco Inferno." (He apparently spent some time trying to be a Broadway star, so he's, yeah, good.) Overall, best. wedding. ever., and it makes me sad that my writing skills are not such as to do it justice.

We tried to do the whole top of the Empire State building thing after, but um, fail. It was midnight, and there were still huge lines, and I was in heels, so we called it a night, grabbed a cab back to the hotel, and crashed.

Today's agenda:

COFFEE!
Finish our Central Park walking tour
Eat something sometime
Maybe a Broadway show?
More eating
Pack...

Still sore,

A & J




















1 comment:

Julie said...

LOVE the shoes. I want new shoes. No, really. I WANT new shows. Thanks for encouraging my obsession. Shoe shopping time?